Mount Gravatt Landmark Scurr Bros’ Site to Become a Health and Wellness Centre

Photo credit: Friends of Scurr Bros Hardware Mt Gravatt/Facebook

The historic Mount Gravatt landmark, Scurr Bros’ site is about to get a transformation.

With hopes of bringing new businesses to the area, the iconic building will soon be home to new retail outlets, a medical consulting business, gym, and physiotherapist, as well as a childcare centre. This new build is anticipated to be completed by May 2019, 106 years after William Scurr first built his Queenslander on the same site.

Photo credit: www.pigozzogroup.com.au

BCC already approved a development application for the Scurr Bros’ site at 1437 Logan Road in 2011. Previous plans for the 7,417 sqm property involved retail, commercial, and residential components. However, the site’s current owner Pigozzo Group said that the residential component will not continue.

As part of their efforts to retain the history of the site, the structure and its carpark will be revitalised instead of having the building demolished.

Paying tribute to the extraordinary family behind the well-known site, the developers also plan to retain the Scurr Bros’ name.


Tower Ad

A Brief History of the Scurr Bro’s Site

The development of the Scurr Bro’s site started when William Scurr built a Queenslander-style house on the property in 1913.

Left to Right: Mr Sirat in the German Wagon (customer), George Scurr (who became an Anzac in the Light Horse Brigade), Hubert Underwood, Arthur Packer (customer), and Will Scurr (proprietor). Photo credit: Friends of Scurr Bros Hardware Mt Gravatt/Facebook

His brother, Edward (Ted) later built a humble blacksmith shop on the site in 1928.

Their brothers, Thomas and Jack also joined the family business in 1931. At the time, they made horseshoes, ploughs, harrows, and scarifiers.

By 1934 as cars started to take over, the Scurr family took on motor body building.

Photo credit: Friends of Scurr Bros Hardware Mt Gravatt/Facebook

The Scurr family then moved into hardware in 1952 and the site officially turned into a hardware store in 1954.

Scurr Bros became a foundation member of the Mitre 10 chain in Queensland in 1962, with Arthur Scurr as Queensland chairman. He held the position for more than 30 years.

Scurr Bros’ site taken: 1995/2018 Photo credit: Friends of Scurr Bros Hardware Mount Gravatt/Facebook

In 1973, the old hardware store was demolished and was replaced by the current building.

Three generations of the family went on to work in the business over the years and by 1995, Scurr Bros was sold to Woodmans Hardware.

The Scurr brothers certainly have a special place in the hearts of Mount Gravatt’s local community. Having a new building that retains the Scurr Bros name will surely carry on the family’s legacy.