Stage One of the upgrade works on the walking trails of the Mount Gravatt Outlook Reserve, located off Shire Road in Mount Gravatt, has now been completed.
After commencing early this year, Stage One of the upgrade project went off smoothly and ended in March 2020. This first stage involved the upgrading of the Acacia Track beginning mid-January, followed by the installation of new stairs at the Federation Track.
The project has been divided into the following stages:
- Stage One (Completed)
- upgrade of the Acacia Track
- installing new stairs at Federation Track
- Stage Two
- improvements to the reserve entry, including a new pedestrian path
- Stage Three
- enhanced facilities at Gertrude Petty Place picnic area and carpark.
During construction, there may be increased dust and noise due to truck movements in the area. Notifications will be provided once project details and schedules have been finalised.
Once completed, the Mount Gravatt Outlook Reserve project is expected to provide family-friendly recreation opportunities for the entire community to enjoy.
Apart from the Mount Gravatt Outlook Reserve upgrade, Council has also identified 10 other sites for future park and reserve enhancement projects which also includes:
- Colmslie Beach Reserve – An upgrade opportunities plan has already been developed which includes passive recreation opportunities at the beach, installation of sculptures to extend play opportunities, and additional picnic shelters and seating, among others.
- Chalk Street Park, Lutwyche – Chalk Street Park is a future park to be located on Wellington Street. Concept plan has been finalised which include new picnic shelters and an accessible drinking fountain; new playground equipment; fitness equipment; bike repair station; and off-street parking on Marita Street.
- Eildon Hill Reservoir, Windsor – Proposed improvements under the draft concept plan include providing a viewing platform and upgrading of the walking tracks.
- Keperra Bushland, Keperra – Construction works to establish a new rest area within Keperra Bushland Reserve will commence in late January 2020.
- Grinstead Park/Shand Street Park (no. 100)/Shand Street Park (no. 131) – Project involves upgrading three parks covering a total area of approximately 20 hectares. Recently announced opportunities plan include proposed pedestrian access with new concrete pathway and shade trees; enhancement of Corbett Street playground with picnic shelter, barbecue and drinking fountain; and upgrade of the existing scout gathering area with new seating and under surfacing.
- Stephens Mountain Reserve, Greenslopes – Proposed improvements under the draft concept plan include construction of informal walking and multi-use tracks, improvements to the entry and exit points, as well as a lookout and rest area.
- Wembley Park, Coorparoo – Council is currently reviewing ways to enhance and diversify recreation opportunities in the park.
- Wishart Community Park, Wishart – An opportunities plan has already been developed which proposes upgrade works including new netball hard courts; new play area and path; formalised car park area; and a new scooter loop at the existing play area.